What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated Charcoal is a natural powder that absorbs most chemicals, poisons and toxins. It traps the unwanted substances from your body before they could get harmful. This means that it allows them to get out of our bodies without absorbing them.
Charcoal is made from coal, wood, peat, coconut shell or other substances. When buying an Activated Charcoal make sure it comes from a natural source, such as a coconut shell. Activated Charcoal is formed when high temperatures combine with a gas or activating agent to expand its surface area. It is made especially for medical use and it is very important to drink plenty of water when taking it as it could cause dehydration.
Why should I use it?
- it treats poisoning (including hangover and drug overdoses)
- it lowers cholesterol
- it reduces intestinal gas
- it promotes a healthy digestive tract
- it treats cholestasis (pregnancy condition with severe itching in late pregnancy caused because the normal flow of bile is affected)
- it prevents constipation
- it disinfects and deodorizes
- it whitens teeth and removes plaque (helps prevent cavities, bad breath and gum disease)
- it filtrates water (it traps solvents, pesticides, industrial waste and other chemicals)
- it reduces acne and it is also a great anti-aging treatment
- it relieves discomfort from insect bites
Bare in mind that Activated Charcoal is considered a medicine; therefore, use it with caution. It is generally safe for most individuals, but if you take other medications do consult with your doctor prior taking it.